Skip to main content

don't shame each other, revolt against pants

I don't have wings, feathers, or a peacock tail. That's ok.
With the mess surrounding the Lululemon fat-shaming sizes, the “What’s Your Excuse” mom, and the flippant use of vanity sizing, I'm fed up on most things related to clothing, size, and appearance. I’d like to say nice and supportive things to people hurt by Lululemon’s Chip Wilson saying the pants are built for every woman. I’d like to say only nice and supportive things to people hurt by the “What’s Your Excuse” mom potentially indicating you are not doing enough. I have said nice things, but I can't keep my comments one sided.

Everyone gets to feel like shit!
As a person who has lived a life of getting clothes tailored, washing to shrink down, squatting to stretch out, having dresses custom made, I tried not to care about other people's gripes. I'm a short woman with a back and shoulder frame that belongs on a man. I have a gap between my butt and material in the back of my pants because my waist and butt are disproportionate. I learned to buy clothes large and have them tailored to fit. I'm at peace with it. I don't always fit the standard mold and I don't feel like I need to. It’s not even on my goal list.

I've read reviews from outraged customers because they always wear a size 8 and they didn’t fit into a store’s size 8, therefore the store needed to change its sizing. I've read reviews about people not liking pants because the size they usually wear was not flattering and they would not buy a different size. It is difficult for a company to address the needs of every consumer. There are stores targeted at special sizes. I'm not going to claim short-shaming because Big and Tall doesn’t make something in my size. Lane Bryant is made for plus sizes and they advertise it consistently. If a store advertised to a smaller vs a larger size, they would get less love because answering the plight of the larger exerciser is nobler than addressing the needs of the skinny. Somehow it is impossible to represent one without offending the other.

I know women trying to lose mass and some trying to add it. They're not happy about the way clothes fit. None one seems happy. How is one side of the story better than the other? IT IS NOT. So stop fighting each cause like it’s a personal attack. Feel empowered when you are represented and learn to represent without putting others down. Rejoice in getting stronger legs, losing weight, having the ability to move in a healthy way. Fuck the clothes. For real. Who likes pants to begin with?! NO ONE.

She had a range of sizes, all of which were size sexy
And give Chip Wilson some more practice at public speaking. He reminds me of my former students that got nervous when speaking in front of class. They didn’t need berating; they needed help, empathy, and practice.

For the stores with inconsistent sizes – it can create a hassle. Customers are shipping back and forth to exchange sizes and all they want is to wear those cute yoga pants inside their house where no one can see. Just kidding, we know you wear them everywhere. EVERYWHERE. However, don't be afraid to buy the next larger size. Does it really feel that bad to buy a larger size? Why?! Is it the head game the sizes play with your confidence and sense of self-worth? Cut the tags off . No one will know or you can lie your ass off to preserve your self-confidence while you work on finding better sources of self-worth.

Yup.
And guess what? Marilyn Monroe was not fat. She was disproportionate.  She had a tiny waist and big boobs. It’s called voluptuous. She was not the only beautiful woman to ever exist. When a media outlet publishes a photo and calls someone “beautiful” please do not think it’s the only standard of beauty. Enjoy being non-standard in size. If you fit into everything you try, enjoy that too. If you got some muffin top, I might say something, but I still love you just the same. Does expanding a view of beauty have to happen at the sacrifice of others?

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…