Skip to main content

crackpots (because slow cookers are addictive)


Two. That's right - two. Two crockpots a cooking and an oven full of mess with a grill packed to its limits. Did we go too far, is this too much? For some, maybe. For us, no. I actually got the idea from a dear friend who admitted to having multiple slow cookers, so I know I'm not the only crockpotnut. As a family concerned with what we eat, this works for us. It doesn't mean it will work for everyone else, but it certainly makes our lives easier. Do you know what has to be done with "hectic" food prep involving two crockpots - nothing. It's like plug n' play for cooking. That stuff is getting deliciously cooked and tender while we hustle and bustle through the rest of our weekly food preparation.
 
So what did this week's preparation entail? "Crackpot" - pot roast, apple/almond flour "cereal." Grill - sausages, beef patties, turkey patties. Oven - chicken, apples, sweet potatoes. Stove - boiled eggs. The one thing we don't really prepare ahead of time is frozen vegetables that steam in the bag because, well, they steam in the bag. Yup, it's in plastic bags getting heated. Yup, not all are organic. Yup, some even have chemical preservatives. Until we can find a better option in terms of money and time, this is it. We I tried the CSA thing last year. It ended up being a waste of money as hubby would only eat few vegetables from the selection. At some point, I want to try buying in bulk and freezing or canning. That point was not the past weekend...nor will it be next weekend for that matter.
 
Onto paleobaby. This week, we cut some sweet potatoes into cubes and baked them with some light spices. Why light spices? Because you can always add more later, but there's just enough to give a pleasant aroma that puts everyone in a better mood. Why cubes? It is a a different texture between mashed and dense foods. Cubes are great for little hands to pick up and self-feed. In the event we want to change the texture and feed him mashed sweet potatoes, they're soft enough to mash up later. They also mix well with the cubed apples. So far, no complaints from paleobaby. As you can see, he loves his crockpotted meat and sweet potatoes. 
 
What next? I started rotting food (aka fermenting). Started with kimchi. There's a high chance (read: definite) that I added WAY too much chile. Other than the burning mouth sensation, it's actually good. I'm also trying to figure out how to do a small batch of mead. I mean SMALL. I'm looking for even more ways to shave time and save my schedule. In a short time, I'll be single momming it for awhile until my fairy godmother decides to turn my hubby back from a pumpkin. Until then, my plan is to never have to leave the house to grocery shop :o We'll see how that goes. We bought a side of local/humanely treated/grass feed/grass finished beef. There are quite a few sustainable farming businesses in the area and I'm a fan of supporting them vs larger meat factories. I'm also signing up for an organic foods delivery service. There's two main ones in town, so I'm trying to decide between the two right now. Either way, I'll have noms delivered to my doorstep and if I play it right I could end up saving money. Most importantly, I plan on cleverly using restaurants to avoid constant meal prep by myself with a toddler toddling about like he's supposed to be doing. Toddlerish mischief and ovens don't mix well. If I even thought I could get away with it all and not eat out one time, I'd be pretty damn foolish. I make to glamorization about the hell my life is going to turn into for the next chunk of time. 

1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...