Skip to main content

what do we feed paleobaby?


My family eats fairly Paleo. There is no going back. We all have food sensitivities and cannot tolerate gluten or dairy. We can call our diet gluten free and dairy free or we save time by saying Paleo. That's how we practice what we eat too. Rather than staying away from only wheat, we've found more success in avoiding most grains...ok all. When oatmeal and corn make me act like a balloon (inflating AND deflating), I figure it is better to avoid most grains instead of going through a painful trial and error each time.

As adults, my husband and I can be logical about what we eat....sometimes, logic fails me plenty. Kids are not so easy...or are they? Starting our son on meats and veggies has been successful because we have not had to change up his diet, it's the only way he has been eating. He explores the food we eat him without having gimmicks associated with them. He also has been evenly tempered and sleeps well, although I'm not sure if that's a function of the food or just his personality.

Someone asked what we give him to eat. I'm thinking the question came up because at first glance Paleo sounds so restrictive. First thing in my mind is - we give him real food, what else is there? Then I realized we have been at it so long, we've lost touch with the other things parents may offer their kids. I thought a post or two (maybe more) about what we all eat may be helpful. It's not to point fingers and make parents feel bad about their own food choices, but to let others know how we navigate our way through an overwhelming presence of processed foods, where we pick our battles, where we go neolithically crazy, and where we compromise.

First on tap for baby snack - baked apples. Yup. Simple. I took two apples, cubed them, sprinkled cinnamon on them, put them in a baking dish, covered the dish, put it in an oven at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
-Why cinnamon? Because that's the first thing I saw. I like to spice up his foods now that he's past the initial onslaught of solids. One week its cinnamon, then nutmeg, then ginger, but usually just one spice at a time.
-Why cover? I cover the apples with foil or the dish top because I do not use butter or oil. I'm not afraid of feeding fat to my baby, I love fat and so does he. However, I like the taste of the apples and think the spice should be the compliment and not have to contend with butter or coconut oil. Since there is not fat, I keep the apples from looking dried out by using the cover.
-Why 400F? Because that's also the temp we use to bake everything else that gets jammed in the oven at the same time. We're baking sweet potatoes, chicken, pumpkin, turkey, meatballs, you name it.
-Why bake? It frees up my hands to do other meal prep while the food is cooking without needing to be stirred, flipped, or otherwise agitated 

The apples get stored in the refrigerator and lasts as snacks for the week with some left for me to nibble. My son eats these cold or warm. It is not Martha Stewart (but big shout out to my girl). However, it is practical, allergen free, price conscious, does not require 59 ingredients in 80 steps, smells delicious, and it still is tasty. I'd apologized if that's not enough for you but I have exhausted my ability to care. Please and thanks.

6 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…