Skip to main content

so what did I really do?


I did a physique competition. You may be looking at the pictures and may or may not be able to tell the differences in the various girls. Maybe some girls are wearing suits a wee different from mine, but that’s only a part of it. The different categories in these competitions have different requirements. Bikini, Figure, Fitness, Women’s Physique, and Body Building. We’re all there for a similar reason, but what we do is not the same. Different suits, posing, aesthetic requirements. It makes a difference in how you train.
I went in not knowing if I would be doing a figure or physique competition. I had no clue about what to do for training, how to work the posing, or how to put myself in a category. I turned to some awesome coaches - Tracy and Cameron Bodner of the team Total Package. They helped me with everything. Not only did they take care of the training and posing aspect, they were there when I started to freak out because I forgot why I was doing all this. They were there to remind me that just doing this means I’ve already won. What?! Yeah, crazy, but it worked. They were right. There’s no trophy or placement that could replace knowing that I’ve successfully put in so much hard work.
They do this for a living, so I’m not going to give details about the training plan. I will say, I did manage to continue Crossfitting a few days a week. It was good to see how one training program affected another. It seems the first thing people thought was that I was starving myself and cardio’ing myself to death, so I should be weaker. I’d have to disagree. First, I did not die in the midst of a training train wreck  I was not stronger on a few things, but I was still able to deadlift 300lbs, front squat 85kg multiple times, and shoulder press 55kg multiple times. I did metcons after my cardio sessions and still managed to do them in well as RX’ed. Towards the end of the training, I did taper down the Crossfit because I had to make time for family. The training started to require more of my time away from home. So the solution was to cut that time from other places. Remember, my goal was the absolute minimum time at the gym as necessary. If home was calling, something on the list was going to have to give. It had to be something that would not be detrimental to my goals, decrease my sanity, and also taken out with the knowledge I'd be able to do it again later.
So did I starve myself? I can say that I did not. I have an affliction that prevents me from starving myself - my love of delicious food. I did realize that my idea of portion sizes was farther off than I thought. I also was able to reduce my need to gorge on sugar. I did the 21 Day Sugar Detox (successfully on Level 3) multiple times and managed to pig out of cheesecake on day 22…without any hesitation whatsoever. It’s like I gave that program the middle finger, I’m pretty sure I did physically too. But after 12 weeks of clean eating, I couldn’t gorge on cheese cake to save my life. Sad, but liberating at the same time. Some time has passed since my competition. I had some "crack fries" (because they're sprinkled with crack) and managed not to eat them in five minutes and also left some behind for the trash. I will say that after a few cheat meals I've been able to return to sensible eating without drama and the insanity I'm used to having. During my prep, I also didn’t supplement myself to death. I am/was nursing my son, so I wanted to protect the supply and what was being passed to him. No one said I had to take fifty thousand fat burners. There's actually a few resources that detail the amounts of drugs and supplements passed through breastmilk. No one asked me to take anything dangerous or anything "safe" in dangerous quantities. That speaks volumes when a training program relies on the person putting forth the effort, not the supplements they buy to shovel down their pie holes.

And that’s what I really did. Lots of clean, healthy eating smartly planned throughout my training cycle and exercising. So if you want the secret, here it is - do what your coaches tell you, be honest with your feedback to them, stop complaining, and do it only if you want it and enjoy it because you will likely be working your ass off. That is all.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…