Skip to main content

dear fatties who workout shirtless...

Source
...go on with your bad self! For the rest of you out in the world that don't meet mainstream standards of beauty and health, but get hot working out like every other human being - go ahead, take it off. Let me be the first to apologize for any snickering and snide comments that are made.

We are all human. We sweat. Colorado gets warm. Considering you are not being lazy by sitting on the couch, you deserve to make yourself comfortable ESPECIALLY when it motivates you to work harder. The taking off of one's shirt is not a privilege for the uniquely beautiful. I would hate for this to lead to some kind of body issue. It's hard enough to get to the gym after a day of work or school. It's hard to maintain a healthy diet when it feels like you have fifty other things going. Somehow, you made yourself get to the gym. You put in the effort to make yourself fitter and healthier. Do not let anyone discourage you from continuing. If it's hot during a workout and you would really like to take your shirt off so you can cool down and continue to work hard, do it. You could be the hairiest person alive and it may look like a sweater when you take your shirt off. I don't care. You're at the gym to get healthy. Go ahead and wear short shorts so your thick legs can move without catching on long pants. If your workout is going to be functional fitness, so should the clothes you wear to that workout.

I think it's funny that people claim the gym is not a place for a fashion show. We pride ourselves on promoting fitness over aesthetics. Sure it's nice to look good, but fitness is what counts. If that is true, then why the snickering and eye-rolling when only certain people take their shirts off? We design workouts to make you uncomfortable. You should feel sweaty and hot. So take it off. Don't mind the remarks you may hear. That's just the sound of ignorance. Some people are less inclined to live life in someone else's shoes. They're too limited to appreciate the fact you're at the gym working to make yourself a healthier person. Screw them. No, really, screw them. Put your body right in their personal space and make them look at all your glory you big fat monster, you. Make them acknowledge your presence. You're a fucking human being and have worth. Claim your space and make sure they know you are not to be fucked with. You are on a mission to make yourself better. Strut!

I never really thought about how callus people were when it came to this part of Crossfit or any gym. I didn't think about it until I heard my friend mention how people talk about girls with big shoulders needing to skinny up. If it is truly about fitness and health, skinny/fat do not matter. None of those beauty standards matter. Your health matters. People that say only good looking people should take off their shirts during workouts don't get that aspect of the gym. I get it. Would you like me to fold that shirt of yours you just took off?
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...