Skip to main content

zombies on the brain

Source
For those that put on weight easily, don’t feel totally hopeless. Is this you? It certainly is me. I have to constantly watch what I eat. My body responds to nutrients (of any kind) by packing on pounds. You name it – muscle or fat, it loads up on the body. I look at a bench press and gain 10lbs. I think of a cookie and BAM, 5 extra pounds. So sad…until the zombie apocalypse.

Do not feel totally at a lost my easygainer friends. It may be tempting to look at the hardgainer (someone who has a hard time gaining weight) next to you as they pummel 50k calories of food into their piehole.  It is ok, life will continue for you. When it comes to feast/famine times, you’ll be a winner. Why? Our bodies are efficient. Don’t think of it as a horrible genetic downfall, it is survival instinct being promoted through the generations for the ever impending zombie apocalypse. Our bodies will be able to strip nutrients from anything and everything we eat (as it has already shown it can do). What benefit is this? When food sources run scarce because you’re running from zombies and can’t stop for ho-ho’s at the local Loaf n’ Jug, you’ll still have something to burn. Meanwhile, your hardgainer friend with the uber high metabolism will be burning more calories than he/she can turnaround and will eventually…slow…down. Two things happen at this point. Your friend is either zombie food or you become the hero that has to drag your friend to safety because you have enough stored up energy to support that activity. 

No, this is not an invitation to become overweight. It’s an invitation to not be down on yourself for having qualities that may currently seem less than favorable. I see too many people not just work against the gifts they have, but totally despise them. Sure, you’ll need to monitor your diet more than the hardgainer. If you want a particular look, you’ll have more tweaking to do in terms of body composition, if that’s your goal. But maybe you’ll make strength gains faster. Maybe your body adapts better to changes in the environment. You need less fuel and end up saving money. When you’re watching what you eat, you’re a cheap date. The point is, when you accept and work with what you’ve got, it might make things goes easier and you may just enjoy the journey a bit more.
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…