Skip to main content

inspiration

Source
I just got done watching some of the webcasts of the Arnold Sports Festival. What can I say? Everyone I saw was an inspiration. What does that matter? Sometimes we dedicate so much to sleep, diet, and exercise but still find ourselves plateauing. If I'm really doing so well in those arenas, where else is there to look but inside? I needed an internal heave-ho and seeing the competitors at the Arnold really did it.

Why is that? Watching the Figure International pre-judging, it seems every lady called out had either completed a masters degree, had at least two kids, or donated an entire paycheck to a charitable organization. Who does that? I find it pretty hard to stay in shape, have hobbies, and work. Add on the life of being a professional competitor. It isn't a cheap sport and is loaded with some time demands. To be able to do these things while raising children, childbirth, and school, it's a wonder they don't look worn out. The winner of the Bikini International is an 18 year old student on a fast track medical school program in Florida. And I think I'm tapped for time. Aside from those girls, a couple of the coaches from Crossfit Soco were competing in the weightlifting events. Jacki and Natalie aren't what I call huge girls. They are however what I call bad ass. They take away excuses of size some of tend to associate with strength. They are proof that size isn't always the limiting factor we let it be. Anyone that's been close to a goal knows success is just as nerve wracking as failure. It is no small feat to put yourself up on a platform with your only options being success or failure.

Sometimes I think of these things as a slap in the face, calling me lazy or less than. Inspiration isn't about making you feel bad though. It is about making the impossible seem possible. These are people with everyday concerns about children, life, money, etc. They have jobs and aspirations like the rest of us. Some want competitive events to be their job, some want to go on to be something else. The idea is to find something that inspires you because it's more than a slap in the face. Inspiration goes on to tell you to stop beating down on yourself and recognize it can be done. The moment you look at something inspiration and start the negative self-talk, stop. That mindset is the enemy. Realize someone is showing you a potential way to get things done. Figure it out, make it your own. Be great. In the words from Harold Lamb, that means "to crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet -- to take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women" (check it out, pre-Conan - Genghis Kahn: the emperor of all men, 1927; p. 106-107). So maybe not JUST like that, but you get the idea - allow yourself to be inspired.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…