Skip to main content

Why do I do this to myself?

Source
I don't expect to be great at all things. I expect to try things I know I'm not great at. I practice skills I'm strong at and try to be ferocious attacking weak skills (aka weaknesses). I don't want to be familiar with a weakness. I want to be BFF's with it. I want to let it know it is not the boss of me. Example. I'm not a fan of center stage. I'd rather share the spotlight with a friend or completely give it to another completely. To me, it's pretty scary. What to do? Step out of the comfortable, familiar Crossfit box I've been living in and enter a figure competition.

Competition judges will not care about my Fran time. They won't ask about my dead lift. I'm excited to be trying something different and scared because I'm out of my comfort zone. By myself. On a stage. To be judged. I am unfamiliar with the entire process. Become comfortable with a it, right? Someone remind me of that when I trip on my heels while walking :) This is a serious issue though. I'm a fan of individual sports, but the fear of center stage has driven me away from many non-sport experiences. I was prepared, I was ready, but I also felt eyes start to converge on me. I hate that feeling. Scary. What better way to get over that then to be on a stage for the sole purpose of having people put eyes on me?


Last week, there was a Talk to Me Johnnie post titled What are You Training For. It inspired me to make sure I'm doing what I need for my training purposes, whether it's a weakness or a strength.  To test that concept, you should try something specific in it's own setting...away from the gym. How else will you know if your skill sets are worth their weight? If you can make up for a weakness with a strength and still have a good workout time, that's great. But with the wrong mindset, it does nothing except encourage "gaming" of the system at the expense of making yourself better. How will I know I'm comfortable with my weakness if I don't do something specific to being center stage? Train to attack your weaknesses.


Weakness is limiting. It can be physical or mental in nature. I need to find it and beat the crap out of it. To do otherwise is to accept mediocrity. I equate weakness to fear. It is the fear of failure as much as it is the fear of success. To me, being fearless does not mean the lack of fear itself. It means finding your fear, confronting it, and beating the tar out of it. If you win, great. But it is impossible to lose. You don't have to be great, just up to the challenge. Whether your weakness is crappy Olympic lifting form or crowded spaces, be fearless in your pursuit. Search out the cause of your weakness. You'd be surprised to know how many physical weaknesses stem from what's going on inside your head. If you think you do not have a weakness, let me rephrase it for you - you are comfortable at being weak.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…