Skip to main content

prepare to offend others

I've been eating as close to Paleo as I can for "awhile." People now know that I do not eat or try not to eat certain foods. Around the holidays, I hear a lot about offending people by not eating the food they give you. I get that. Whatever your reason, it can be hard for others to understand that something they created isn't good enough for you to eat. Trying to explain that can be pretty hard, especially if they are non-believers. I tried to be partially accommodating this year as proof that I'm not as selfish as the naysayers would believe. It isn't always about me and here is my attempt to show you that...

From now on, you can fuck off...

I received some candy the other day. I have had sweet indulgences before, but they were usually homemade, had little processed foods, and fewer preservatives to extend their shelf life. My tummy was not prepared for what would happen next. A few bites of chocolate (which I typically love) and up came a not equally tasting biley "thank you" from my stomach. A few pieces of candy sent me railing at both ends. I threw it in the trash...ok, I kept the other chocolate that didn't have the same effect. I will also not forget thinking about a few tablespoons of a harmless gravy that obviously contained flour. It took about five minutes for it to start working is magic on my system. I bolted upright and left the table long enough for my mother to find me and ask if I was ok.

Never again. I'm sorry there are those that do not comprehend my diet or the sensitivity of my digestive tract. Scratch that, I'm not sorry, I just acknowledge that this point of view exists. Even if you were willing to share the experience of blowing up of the bathroom and demi-vomit taste in the back of your mouth, it's not a wise move for my body. Whatever I ate in the past and however my body dealt with it is long gone.  These are things my body does not want. I'm sticking to cheats that don't make me feel this way. Sometimes that means a more expensive chocolate or a smaller piece of something else. That's ok, I don't need a lot and I don't need it often, just enough for one cheat.

If you're serious about being Paleo or any other diet that is restrictive in any way, prepare to offend others. Be gracious for offers of food you don't eat, but be persistent in rejecting them. If you know they will hurt you, why eat them? If it is something that isn't such an issue, flex with the situation. Be cautious, what was tolerable at the beginning of your diet may not be tolerable months down the road.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…