Skip to main content

doing some light reading

Source
I like to read "stuff." For Christmas, my dad bought me several books. The two I finished most recently were The Essential Guide to RF and Wireless by Carl J Wesiman and Better Than Good: Creating a Life You Can't Wait to Live by Zig Ziglar. Neither book ended up on my all time favorites list.

I doubt you're reading my blog because you are into wireless technology. I do have a job and it does not include blogging. It includes a lot of involvement with wireless technologies. Honestly, I also have an interest in things other than fitness and health, RF technology being one of them. I find it nice to have hobbies and interests that do not include the gym. I am an advocate of making oneself multidimensional by having hobbies and interests that do not include the gym. So, to give myself some depth, I got caught up on wireless fundamentals. Quick book review - if you've worked in the aerospace industry (aside from SATCOM), this book will be nothing more than a reference of things you know in a better to understand format. There are some details that those in the industry could do with, this book does not include those details.

Source 
The second book is by a motivational speaker I have heard of since I could remember. I'm not the biggest fan of reading motivational or self-help books. I'm also not a fan of ruling all things useless, so I picked up this book to see if my passion for learning was greater than my distaste for self-help books. Ziglar's book is HEAVY in testimonials. I'm not a fan of those. The book is also heavy on religion. I'm not the most religious person, but I'm a huge fan of prayer. No matter what or who you pray to, I think it affects your life if you use it. For such a God-centric book, discussion on communicating with the man above left me unfulfilled. This book did have some great insight on failure and passion though. It wasn't anything new or awe inspiring, but it was a good reminder on things important to life. Fitness and health are supposed to help you to lead a life you enjoy. If your life outside of the gym is not joyful, you got some issues to work on...outside the gym. There was plenty of discussion on the many ways to take care of yourself physically, spiritually, and otherwise. It had some decent take-aways.

Reading takes time away from other activities. It gets hard to do when you could be doing other things. Sometimes we need to dig through all that information though. For such uninspiring books, I felt better after reading them. I felt like I had some intellectual growth and reconnection. I felt assured in the steps I was taking to lead an enjoyable life. Mostly, I felt reaffirmed that I had an existence outside the gym that was being supported by what I did in the gym.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…