Skip to main content

programming my little heart out

Source
I had programming on my mind lately. Aside from maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I want my programming to prepare me to compete during a particular season. Thankfully, there have been tons of articles out to help guide me along my though process. All of them can be found at speedendurance.com.

The first thing that I think of when I try to program my year are my goals and desired outcomes. Jimson Lee talks about developing a programming philosophy based on knowledge of biomechanics and physiology. I couldn't agree more. This year, I wanted to do a triathlon. I had never did one, I couldn't swim. I looked at what was needed for me to have a "stellar" finish vs and "safe" finish. I opted for the goal of a safe finish. I was picking up a new skill in a new sport, that was plenty.Without thinking about biomechanics and physiology, it is easy to overshoot goals and misinterpret the learning process involved in an activity. Before figuring out what my programming goals, I layout my understanding of the activity and see if you can fill in the knowledge gaps.If I can't or I'm too lazy, someone else does it. I joined the local Team In Training which came with a nifty tri coach who had way more experience and knowledge programming workouts for triathlons.

Before I could do a triathlon, I had to learn to swim. An article on the 3 Laws of Speed Development go over the concept of grasping fundamentals. You can trash your progress by training beyond your skill level. Get a firm hold on skill before moving to advanced programming. Programming should also allot time to develop an appropriate level of strength before moving onto another phase. Don't believe me? Read these SpeedEndurance.com articles on improving acceleration and training to run a faster 400. What's appropriate? If you understand the activity, you should understand where the building of strength starts to hamper performance. Not knowing this point is why people "tweak" programs. I'm not totally familiar with Crossfit and how my body reacts to certain programming, so I can't make precise predictions. I can make educated decisions and keep an eye on performance and adjust accordingly though.

In track and field, we spent our prep phase/preseason building strength and on running drills. Many coaches acknowledge the role of strength and power in running speed. Before we ran our hearts out, we had to develop a good strength base. The drills helped us grasp the proper way to run...and to do it consistently!  If you have a Crossfit Journal subscription, you can watch the Conjugate System series to hear Louie Simmons talk about starting athletes on his programming before they are strong or skilled enough to handle it. Why train someone to do weighted squat jumps when they can't even do a squat? Get a grip on the skill.Why train someone to use a program that uses barbells if they can't lift more than a 5lb dumb bell? Get a grip on strength.


Source
So going back to having a philosophy based on biomechanics and physiology, I've come up with some priorities.

1. Develop sound lifting and skills biomechanics
2. Train for speed and explosive strength
3. Work advanced skills into training

Common sense? You couldn't guess how many times I've tried to complete a Crossfit WOD before having a grasp on a required skill. Modifying is meant to make programming SMARTER, not allow for poor decision making. There comes a time when skill meets training. You know what that is, the point when you have a skill/weight, but the workout pushes how many times you can do it. A focus on sound biomechanics should drive decision making from this point, not ego. When this question comes to my mind, I'll be ready to move onto priorities 2 and 3.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...