Skip to main content

I can't see!!!

http://www.personal.psu.edu/sms18/kines321/stress.html
I've been thinking a lot about visualization, mostly to take my mind of my aching belly from delicious cheats I had this weekend.

I took a trip down memory lane and remembered what my old pole vault coach told me “This is how you vault. See it. Feel it. Do it.” Right coach. 1 – See it. I have to perform the routine in my head. 2 – Feel it. Each muscle figures out what it has to do to make the picture in my head happen. 3 – Do it. No thinking, just go. Yeah. Sounds great and it works great if you can get it to happen. You see, I have this terrible affliction, it’s called a short attention span. Not too big of a problem, but it is keeping me from going pass the “see it” part in some of the things I’m trying to do.

There's an article on the Speed Endurance website that gives a lot of exercises to improve your visualization skills. If you're short in the attention span area like me, you'll need to remember to keep your sessions short. The purpose should be to have a focused and high quality visualization session. Don't have time for this? Read the link on the picture source. Scratch that, read both. While the first article gives good insight into the neuromuscular activity in visualization, the second article is a down and dirty base level reading to get a quick grasp on the subject. What I've found is that I'm not missing my Olympic lifts because of I'm not strong, I'm lacking the technique. When I have a particular group of qualities already established, I'm pretty sure it means I need to spend more time in my thinktank rather than up my time in the gym. If you close your eyes and try the technique and find that your brain cannot tell your muscles how to move, you'll have bigger issues when you open your eyes.

It's Monday. To help pass time, I'm trying to organize some priorities for the week. Top of the list is visualization, followed by getting diet back on track after some rough on the belly cheats, and trying to sleep at least 8 hours a night. Other things on the list - two-a-days and more food.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...