Skip to main content

Be Kind to Yourself and Another

Tis the season for merry making and cheer, right? Black Friday shopping lines and over-spending are not what I consider to be cheer though. You know what else I don't find cheerful? People saying I'm allowed to cheat on a diet at a particular time of the year. I do believe in cheating, but I'm sure cheating the entire "holiday season" is not a good thing. They're talking an entire season, not just a meal! Do not fall prey to these people, they do not have your health in mind.

How do you help yourself? Pick your cheats wisely, make it worth it. You're about to put your belly through hell, it better be delicious. Keep it limited though. Have cheat meals, not entire cheat days. Do not allow yourself to have cheat meals on consecutive days. That's how you start a routine of badness that can ignite a diet failure. If you decide to go for something only slightly off the Paleo path, be cautious. You may not get the typical gastric distress signals to stop eating because you've eliminated many of the gut irritants. There's a high chance to overeat on these foods because they don't knot your stomach. Stuffing yourself beyond satiety with large quantities of an obviously Paleo ingredient is still cheating. Yeah, true story.
 
How do you help others? Give the gift of health. It does not have to be an expensive posh gym membership. Maybe a drop in card at a Crossfit gym, personal training sessions, Life as Rx tee's are cool no matter who you are, a massage, or food. Food? Yeah - fUd. There's an awesome gift idea at Elana's Pantry. Is it strict Paleo? Absolutely not. Is it pretty Paleo? Um, yeah. And delicious! It might be just enough to 1. Show the anti-Paleo people that there are still tasty treats you can have without the grains, 2. Let your Paleo friends know you care and think they're as sweet as the cookies the gift makes, and 3. Give those struggling with Paleo better options than Oreo cookies for the holidays.

Remember the gift of sleep, especially if you share a bed or house with another. When one is committed to training, a little sickness is "nothing." How about trying to nip that strain, sniffle, or cough before it gets out of control? That's where you come in - show another some love. My husband was feeling under the weather.  Today was the day to sleep in, not to workout at 0600. Why? He felt sick. It is ok to take the time to rest and sleep to get better, support your loved one in making this decision because it isn't easy. It's a mental thing. Many of you workout fanatics know that truth. Ease routine "burdens" to lessen the stress load. That can be sharing chores, eating out rather than rushing to cook a meal, and (most important for Type A's) not fretting over a broken routine. High probability the world will not end if you let your loved ones take their time with something and you arrive at the next stop later than usual. However, when all you talk about is being late to the next appointment, it makes it impossible for your loved one to do anything at a less than stressful pace. Take care of one another. If you're that close to a sickie, your turn may be next :P
4 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…