Skip to main content

What the Holy Hell?

We went to Albuquerque this weekend to compete in the 5k event at the Duke City Marathon. I have a love/hate relationship with Albuquerque like some people have with running. It is one of the few places that allows me to enjoy and reflect on life at the same time. It's great. So, while enjoying the Paleolithic Solution book by Robb Wolf, I was thinking of recent training goals. I realized that everyone once in awhile, I sabotage myself. What?! Yeah. RLY! SRSLY! As much shit as I talk about pushing myself and doing things to get better and reach goals, every once in awhile peeps a setup for failure.

In his book, Wolf mentioned the importance of sleep. He mentions it plenty of times in his podcasts, but it really hit home when reading it. I was in a mood to enjoy life and reflect, it's Albuquerque. If you've ever taken drugs for insomnia, you know that sleep isn't real sleep. It's like routinely going into a coma that you wake up from hours later with no memories and slightly drunk. With all my talk about rest and making it a priority, I wasn't setting my sleep up for success. What made things worse is the effect shit sleep had on my body composition goals. It is easy to brush over sleep as a culprit for an inability to lose weight. Looking back at my journal, I can see my food was good and my exercise was good. My sleep - crap.

Here's what a typical journal entry on sleep would look like:

To bed at 2200. Took a 1.5-2 hrs to fall asleep. Tossed and turned. Woke up frequently to take a piss. Back to bed. Wake up at 0545. TIRED!!! Dead. Tired.

Yeah. So, I thought being in bed counted towards my sleep. It does not. Also, the quality of my sleep is crap. Boooo! Here I am, pressing myself to do better in every way but not setting myself to succeed. To have those expectations and not get the sleep required to support those goals is sabotage. True story. I thought of starting back up on sleep aids or a little wine to help sleep. That's not going to solve my problem. If you didn't know, I'm getting married soon! BAAHHHH!! I know I'm a sucker right?! It seems the stress of planning and making sure details are in place is getting to me. I have two options - be more realistic with the goals OR forget the stress. How about we balance this? I don't like letting go of goals. I'm going to try to wu-sa-bah my way to less stress, but if I miss a lift or a weight loss goal, I'll try not to be so harsh on myself (yeah, right).

Bummer that I'm not where I want to be at this moment. Bigger bummer if I never got the sleep and never reached my goals. I'm behind my time line of progress, but the goal isn't out of sight. I dislike being wrong, but I hate not making things right. I knew sleep was important, it's my own fault for not being honest with the importance of sleep. I'm realigning my stars for performance. I'll get there. Will you? What are you doing to set yourself up for success?
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

I'm Still Alive

Really. I am. Go figure the moment I have time to write something is the moment it all leaves me. I've been keeping a notebook to write things down throughout the day. It's done wonders for my shopping lists, my "to Google later" list, and my WTF Why Not list. Totally forgot about the blogging though. In the mean time, let me tell you that I'm still me. I've spent more time working than working out and I'm fighting to find my way through it all. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, I've identified my shortcomings: the office candy dish, lack of better options, not going to bed earlier, and straying off tasks. Stay tuned for what the hell I do to find myself back to my sane spot...