Skip to main content

Long time no blog, catch up #1

Drug use. Doping. Unfair advantages. Cheating. Yeah, this was all brought on by Contador's "positive" test. He makes some nice points, the lab makes some nice points, science makes great points. I get that. But what I do not get is how people use "that's impossible" as reasonable doubt of a person's athletic performance.

You may or may not have known I've won a few bench press competitions. Nothing spectacular and nothing record breaking. However, there were many guys who never knew women could lift that weight. The first round of questions asked by these guys - "what supplements do you take?" I took multivitamins, that was it, no fancy boutique blended performance supplements. Then came the steroid questions. Really?! I mean, REALLY?! People were dead set that I was taking something. I didn't break any records. Then I realized these guys were from a place that didn't believe women could use fitness protocols to become so strong. I get that. BUT, please keep your limited mindset from my own performance. I believe I can do. I. Can. Do...if I wanted to.

Is it all cheating though? Sabotage, malicious intent is cheating. Dorking around with someone's equipment, food poisoning, slashing tires. That is cheating. Making yourself better, is that really cheating? What is the advantage of performance enhancers if you have no drive in the first place? If you're a coach potato, performance enhancers will make you a better channel flipper. It won't give you purpose and drive to become a world class athlete. And what about other performance enhancers. If someone lives in an area where access to good food, good coaches, stress free living, and plenty of sleep are impossible, should we limit what other athletes have to even out the playing field? Those are all things that help performance and may not be equally available to all.

I get tied up in these things. On one side, I see how people are upset and assume guilt. Despite my thoughts on the rules, there are guilty people out there. On the other side, I think about personal experience and how some athletes strive for that out of world performance and get knocked once they achieve it. I guess people refuse to believe you are capable of anything if you put your mind to it. Next time you catch yourself saying that to a kid, take it back you filthy liar...or shift your thinking.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Planning Realization #1

For quite some time, I could tell my life has been slipping away from me. Not in that dying sort of way, at least not physically. However, I have sunken more into my work in the name of having a better life and all I have to show for it is - more work. Not exactly the way I thought I'd be digging myself out of the work hole. It isn't that I view my work as a hole and am unhappy with it. I love my jobs. I do. And that's part of the problem. They give me a means to meet other needs, while still being pretty darn likable. So I don't realize when I need to pull back to focus on the other things in my life. You know about the other things - friends, family, health, wellness. Things. Example - I work to earn money so I can take my family on trips to neat places. I have worked. I have made money. We haven't gone anywhere. For the past few years, my brother has been living in different places and it wasn't until recently that we ventured out his way for a visit. We m…

Beauty of things

I will miss Michelle Obama. She was classy and beautiful despite what the Facebook trolls would have you believe. She was an accomplished woman with a legal career before she stepped foot in the White House. She could be formal and she could dance the Dougie. She sang Carpool Karaoke and she spoke eloquently during official functions. She cared about the health of the youth of this nation. I was touched by how grounded she was and inspired by her achievements as a person, wife, and mother. I expected to read nasty comments by Facebook trolls, but I wasn’t ready to personally experience hearing negativity about her. The blatant comparison of her to a primate was ridiculous. Absolutely, ridiculous. If there is any animal to compare her to, it is a unicorn. While that comparison was as in-your-face as it could be, others were not. Beauty/class has returned to the White House. I heard that a few times. You can veil your disrespect as much as you like, but it’s quite easy to pull that on…

don't give me your attitude!

I’m tired. I’m sure there are many people out there who are tired too. Perhaps you're more tired than I am. So what the hell am I doing blogging when I could be napping? I’m trying to get the word out – sometimes you have to work your ass off!!!
It’s time for another physique competition. This time, hubby is also prepping for his first physique competition too. It’s been the typical love/hate thing going on. And how can it be anything but? My husband and I are at opposite ends of most any spectrum. I put on mass by looking at weights and he has to tinker with any plan that would work for anyone. I put on mass by looking at food, while he can't shovel enough food down his pie-hole. I like waking up and getting my cardio done first thing, he can barely wake up to pee. So, it would seem that we're not all that similar.
If we took everything at face value, it would seem we are fairly different. There’s a lot going on behind the scenes though. We both have contest preparation…